As a business owner with a multitude of things on your to-do list, it can be extremely difficult to know what tasks to prioritise and not get distracted by other things.
Time blocking has been my saviour when it comes to focusing my mind on specific tasks throughout the week and ensuring I take enough time for myself too!
Here are my 3 top tips to help you silence those distractions and get those jobs DONE:
1. Turn off your phone notifications: Be ruthless with this, have all your notifications for social media and news apps turned off to avoid you getting unnecessarily distracted throughout the day.
2. Prioritise your most important tasks for the week: clearly set out your top priorities in a task management software, like Asana, and then block out specific time in your diary to get them completed.
3. Time block for smaller tasks too: set a specific time of day for answering messages, emails etc. I find this is better to do at the end of the day rather than in the morning so I can focus on getting through my task list first.
The image is an example of one of my time blocked days... here's how it works...
- J&D 10-6pm as the 'all day' event at the top: this means we are working 10-6pm that day
- Bright green is internal meetings: I arrange these all back to back for efficiency
- Dirty green: general 'easier' tasks
- Lunch break is blocked in to ensure I actually stop!!
- Dark green: time for client calls / sessions
- Light blue: external non-client meetings (investors for example)
- Yellow: important strategic tasks that will move the business forwards
Having these focused pockets of time means you can get through your task list much more efficiently and you’ll find you start getting much more done in a day once you start doing this.
Of course, it doesn’t always go to plan; things can overrun, or I might have had low energy that day, but the key thing is that I’m holding myself accountable. All I do on those days is make sure I move the things I’ve not completed to another day in the diary and re-prioritise them.
If you are having trouble focusing and getting things done, have a go at this!
Let me know how you get on. For more tips on priorisation for you and your property business, sign up for our property strategy insights below!
Pop your details in below to receive our Property Strategy Insights